Remote work is gaining popularity like never before, due to technological advancements and also the recent COVID-19 health crisis. Organizations are starting to learn that full-time employees don’t need to be in the office to get their work done. They are either shifting to a “remote-first” mindset or building worldwide teams and scooping talented individuals wherever they may reside.
In the past, remote work was often limited to certain technical professions. However, there has been an increase in available work for marketing and communications professionals. In response, several job boards have sprung up to showcase remote jobs exclusively. We’re going to look at the best job boards for Canadian residents.
Before we get into it, here are a few tips when you’re looking for remote work:
- Even though a job is listed as “remote work” it may have a specific location and time-zone requirements that would disqualify you as a candidate. Pay attention to what is outlined in the listing.
- There will be overlap with the jobs you see on these boards but that doesn’t mean you should become over-reliant on just tracking one board. If you’re serious about finding remote work, keep your eye on multiple boards.
- Companies with an entirely remote staff have a different way of doing things. Sometimes, they don’t even want to see a resume. Carefully read the listing before you prepare your application.
- Have writing samples or a portfolio ready. These companies have to place a certain amount of trust in you as a remote employee, so they want to be sure you can do the job and do it independently. They will often ask to see work samples as part of your application.
- Indeed and LinkedIn, as well as other established job boards, also occasionally feature remote work so you search there as well. Just search for “remote” or “work from home” and these opportunities will appear.
Okay, let’s get into it! Here are eight job boards with marketing and communications work available right now.
Every kind of industry is represented on this site, including advertising, PR, and marketing in countries all over the world. Use the link above to find jobs specifically in Canada.
Tons and tons of remote work here, especially if you’re a freelance writer. You’ll also find marketing and editing work on this site as well. Updated daily.
Shout-out to the Toronto-based team behind this board. Check off the “marketing” and “writing” boxes to find the roles that will best suit you.
Stick to the “writing” and “sales and marketing” categories. This site is heavily focused on tech opportunities, but even tech companies need a copywriter. Updated daily.
Ever dreamed of working at a start-up? There are intern and entry-level positions available on this board. Just search under “marketing” to find relevant roles for you. Be wary that certain start-ups will ask their interns to work for free or for unusual forms of payment.
This site specializes in digital jobs, with roles available under two relevant categories—marketing and marketing.
Find marketing jobs on this site and make sure to use the search filter to narrow your results to Canada.
This site features remote work available worldwide. Check out the “marketing” and “writing” categories.